On 16th November 1923 Secretary to the Post Office, Sir Evelyn Murray stated that it was “as a matter of high politics” that six weeks should be saved on the construction of Rugby Radio Station. The main building was designed by H.M. Office of Works architect Mr F. A. Llewellyn OBE.
The contract for the construction was signed by the contractors Chessums Ltd. on 14th December 1923 with it stated that the cost was not to exceed £45,950.
Construction started around the end of January 1924, and although the building was supposed to be substantially completed by October 1924, a bricklayers’ strike held up work. The building was not handed over to the Post Office until 15th August 1925.